Re: Euros mainsheet track

Dave_Benjamin

Ullar,

The Harken low beam track should work as it has some flexibility. I would check the Harken documentation available on their website and review the installation instructions.

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "ullaroo" wrote:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for information. The track on Euros is situated in aft end of the
cockpit and is tilted slightly forward. If we can fix the new track on
the old one the tilt will be automatically right. That is a bonus.
However, the track is also curved. Can I buy a straight track and bend
it myself?

Here is the picture of my mainsheet track.
c/1817213682/view>

I really missed the convenience of towed mainsheet car last summer. It
wasn't for constant tweaking like on sports boat but just to get main
right easily.

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Dave_Benjamin" wrote:

Ullar,

It was a combination of factors. The original track did not appear to
be through bolted. I suspect there is a strip of steel that was
basically embedded, and then holes drilled and tapped to accept the
screws for the original Goiot track. There was no sign of any problem
with the track. After consulting with a few riggers who had seen similar
installations, we decided to mount the new track on top of the existing.

Here is a link to a photo of the track right after it was installed.
We used Lanocote on the machine screws to prevent dissimilar metal
corrosion. That's the orange colored goop you see in the photo around
the screws.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/105731786/amel_track.JPG

The beauty of this approach is we were able to use off the shelf
Harken hardware that is both robust and readily available.

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "ullaroo" wrote:

Hi Dave,

That sounds interesting. Why did you keep the original track below
the new one? Was Goiot track difficult to remove or was it something
else that brought you to that solution?

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Dave_Benjamin" wrote:

Ullar,

We have an older Amel also, a 1979 Maramu. We fitted a Harken Big
Boat track to our boat. The original Goiot track was substantial enough
that we could drill and tap mounting holes for the Harken track.