Re: [Amel] Battery Chargers and Inverters Update - Comfort Package

Steve Constantine <svsummerlove@...>

Danny,

Slim to none.  For that part of the world, we'll probably fly and rent a place for six months.  Way cheaper.

Take care,

Steve and Donna

Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:14 AM
Subject: Re: [Amel] Battery Chargers and Inverters Update - Comfort Package

Hi Steve,
the boat came so equipped. We have two 24 volt blowers and one 220v blower ventilating the engine space, should deal with most of it. The gas is produced while charging and when either the genset or the motor are running the blowers are going so we should be OK.
Hi to you both too. Incredible how you can meet, spend time together and then get separated by an ocean or two. Any chance of you two sailing to the South Pacific?
Kind Regards
Danny
SV ocean pearl
 SM299

To: "amelyachtowners@..." amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Thursday, 28 February 2013 2:14 PM

Hi Danny,

My only concern with the batteries being in the engine compartment is the potential for hydrogen gas accumulation in an enclosed area with "sparky" things nearby.  Did you install any venting specifically for the starting batteries?

Say hi to Yvonne,

Regards,

Steve
Summer Love
SM340
Currently Grenada

Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:05 PM

Hi all, won't get into the discussion on battery size etc but just to say that we have our two starting batteries (one gen set, one main engine) in the engine room against the aft bulkhead strapped down in battery boxes. They each are connected to their own motor but there is a connecting switch between them by which either can do either engine in the event of a battery failing. Further we have long jumper leads that will reach from the house bank to either engine, talk about redundancy. Anyway the point is, by moving the starting batteries to the engine room we can fit 12 6 volt golf cart batteries (in three banks of 4x24v) in the house bank area.
Cheers
Danny
SM299 Ocean Pearl
Currently Home Port Mangonui NZ

To: "mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.commailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups..com>
Sent: Thursday, 28 February 2013 1:40 AM

Kent,

I finally tracked down the info I vaguely remembered about the size of the battery compartment.  The later SMs had an option available called the "Comfort Package", which included an increase in the size to accommodate 13 instead of 9 batteries.  I've never seen one, so I can't say where they found the extra room.

The interesting thing is that it will also hold four 8-Ds plus a G-31 starting battery.  The obvious downside is the weight and physical size of the 8-D, because installation and replacement would be a lot more challenging for the average Amel owner.

Steve

Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Amel] Battery Chargers and Inverters

Hi Kent,

Summer Love (SM340) has the same size battery compartment that you probably have on Kristy (i.e. 8 - 12V size 30H Trojan SCS225 house, plus 1 starting).  I seem to remember Joel telling me that he had convinced Amel to increase the size of the battery compartment on the later model SMs (please correct me if I'm wrong on this, Joel), which would explain why Paul is able to fit 12 of them and we can't.  If "Kristy" doesn't have the larger compartment, you'll be limited to 9 batteries...

Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (12)
Recent Activity: * New Members 3
Visit Your Group

Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use • Send us Feedback

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.