Re: [Amel] Re: International Proof of Competence

hanspeter baettig

Hello to the US Amel sailors
If you are not obliged in your home country ( eg your ensign on your boat) you don't need
a proove of competence in Europeen Waters. Saying that is only some coast guards do not
now that non europeen vesseles
have others rules then in the EU. Be friendly and show your " general liability insurance document"
In Med Waters
normally all owners with EU flags, specially the Germans, Austians , Dutch etc. have a lot of papers " like "proof of
We in Switzerland have a so name "B- Schein" with this docu we can sail our own vessel under Swiss Flag. But
I can also register my SM under for example " St. Lucia Home Port"
then I do not need any "Proof of Competence
Licence" because St. Lucia do not oblige such a document for this home port.
Hanspeter, SM #16 " Tamango2"

Ursprüngliche Nachricht----
Von: fhoudaille@...
Datum: 12.03.2013 17:33
An: "amelyachtowners@..."
Betreff: Re: [Amel] Re: International Proof of Competence

Thanks to both of you for
your recommendations. I do not think I'll have enough time to take the master's license (we are leaving in mid May) but
I'll check. I will however complete the USCG course which seems straigthforward enough. Thanks again.

From: Richard03801 <richard03801@...>
To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>

Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:22 AM
Subject: Re: [Amel] Re: International Proof of Competence

Bill you are
exactly correct. Having a master ticket is the way to go. Then no matter the country you have your papers.


Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Mar 11, 2013, at 13:49, "Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe" <mailto:yahoogroups%> wrote:


We are by no means experts on this, but let me tell you our experience:

We have USCG
licenses and have been asked for "proof of competency" in several countries: Sri Lanka and Greece...I do not believe
that we would have been denied entraance, but we have a friend that was denied entrance into Montenegro because he did
not have anything.

This "International Proof of Competency" is NOT really International, but a European, and primarily
British thing. Sometimes Europe does not see beyond their borders.

If you plan to cross oceans and cruise the Med, I
would suggest getting your USCG Master's licence. Depending on your insurance carrier, it may get you enough savings in
insurance to off-set the approximate $500-700 cost associated in acquiring the license and the required TWIC. You may
find portions of the course rewarding and enjoyable. You probably do not need a Masters license and I am guessing that
an OUPV (6 pack) USCG licence will be enough in any foreign country. The license is impressive looking, resembling a
passport except red/orange in color. Included in the license acquisition process will be education, written tests, Red
Cross training, drug testing, physical examination including eyes and ears, FBI background investigation, finger
printing, etc.

Hope this helps answer your question.


BeBe, SM2k, #387

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%, Frederic Houdaille <fhoudaille@...> wrote:

Hi there,
I have heard that several European
countries may ask us for an ICC or some proof of competence when cruising there. Quite frankly I had never heard this
before nor did anyone ever ask me for such a document in my earlier sailing trips, but what is your experience,
especially for those of you who recently sailed the MED?
Thanks for your feedback.
Frederic Houdaille
Maramu "ZAZEN", Hull #404 2003, in Bear, DE, USA

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
text portions of this message have been removed]

Join to automatically receive all group messages.