[Amel] Re: Gas pipe (rubber) replacement

jjjk12s <jjjk12s@...>

Rink and others,

There are different ways to connect a gas hose onto a copper pipe. It sounds like Rink has a compression fitting rather than a hose crimped directlty onto copper pipe. It also sounds like he has a compression fitting with an olive (compession ring) rather than a flare...re his original question about how to remove the compression ring. If possible try to do a repair that is compliant with regulations otherwise consider it temporary. Also it is obviously important to be very safe with gas.

I agree that a good nose is no substitue for regulations but neither unfortunately can they be ignored. For example, I had to replace the gas installation on my Maramu to get a gas certificate. Without a certificate a boat can't be registered or sold here. The copper gas pipe had to be changed to one which was plastic coated. The compression joints are flared, which I guess is more standard these days than olives, though regulations vary from country to country.

John Maramu #91

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Well said Mike and Chris I echo your last sentence.

"Health and Safety Regulations have made people expect machines to look after them - Sailing teaches you to look after yourself - thank God."
Yvonne has a good nose and good ears too, vital to pick up problems before they become disasters. Not much point in calling for a tradesman to fix his work from 1000 miles out at sea.
Danny and Yvonne
SM 299 Ocean Pearl
Mangonui
New Zealand