Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Photos of damaged Amels - remove or not?

Richard, I support the proposition that this website is is to provide information of all sorts, without fear or favour, to do with Amel. For adverts, click onto amel.fr or read Joel Potter's endlessly informative adverts in Cruising World.
We have had Amels for nearly 16 years, a Sharki then a Maramu and now an SM .We are in Chile, about to sail to Argentina via the Horn and then cruise over the next two years up the Brazilian coast. We wouldn't have any other boat. We had plans to leave our boat ashore in Grenada in May 2006!Will now go to Trinidad, but as someone has already commented on this site, if an Ivan comes overhead you are in the lap of the Gods and it probably wouldnt matter if you were in a Sherman tank. Ian and Judy Jenkins, Pen Azen, Chile

From: "closereach" <closereach@yahoo.com>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Photos of damaged Amels - remove or not?
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 05:51:59 -0000

What do you--the members that make up this Forum--want? So far four
owners have spoken up: two to remove the photos; two to keep the
photos. This is your forum; if you have an opinion about this please
speak up!

I know why I started this Forum 3 years ago: to share knowledge about
these boats with other owners out there. The good. The bad. Seeing
photos of hurricane damaged Amels hasn't changed my opinion about
these great yachts. In fact, by posting the photos we--again--learned
something very interesting about our manufacturer. One of our members
reports that Amel arranged for a barge to pull 'their' boats out of
the water and to transport the damaged boats back to La Rochelle.
Hmmm. Has Swan or HR or Oyster gone that far?

I too am troubled by removing these photos. Where could this lead? To
censoring anything negative that comes up? We all have spent
considerable sums purchasing these yachts--could it be that we are so
concerned on resale value that we don't want any flaws or negative
findings to get 'out there'?

Some could say there was nothing to learn from these photos--but
morbid fascination. But is that true? Perhaps the owner the sunk
Mango/Maramu/Sharki will tell us if he/she had the watertight doors
shut tight or not. I learned that even putting the boats on the hard
didn't remove the boats from danger.

That's where I sit? What about you?

Richard Tate
SM #5 "Spice"