[Amel] Re: SM deck leak

Graham Boyd

Sorry Guys, it's not the bow thruster, had that one several times now and sorted by seal changes, it's not the anchor as haws pipe on the SM drains straight to the main bilge, this problem is at DECK level on stbd side on upper part of bulk head separating heads /storage area from front cabin....no where near the bilge!!

Graham
SM140
Hong Kong

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> wrote:

Bow thruster was my first thought too. I put a plug in the hole where water goes from the thruster to the collection area forward of the bulkhead and found water forward of that. After changing the seals no further problems.
Kent
SM243
Kristy

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 19, 2013, at 10:26 AM, "Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

Water will accumulate in this area when water passes up the bow thruster tube in rough seas. Did you have the bow thruster pinned and when you pinned it was it tight?

Bill
BeBe, SM2k #387

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Graham" <crwggb@> wrote:

We are just back from a pretty rough crossing of the South China Sea with strong winds forward of the beam the whole way. A few years ago we had a similar trip up the west of Portugal and Biscay. On both occasions we found on arrival evidence of water ingressing the bulk head between the front cabin and the storage area opposite the front heads just below deck level. On both occasions I have removed the wood trim at the top of the bulk head and slightly pulled back the foam liner under the side deck but can find no evidence of where the water is coming in.
I cannot recreate the leak during more "normal" sailing.
Has any one else experienced a leak like this in this area? The next step I think will be to reseal the front cabin windows. Any top tips on how to remove the wood trim inside the boat to replace the window seals?

Perhaps it is a stantion base leak?

I look forward to any comments

Graham Boyd
SM 140