Re: [Amel] "Morning Dove" 46' Maramu has new owners

karkauai

Do a search of messages on this site for "dodger headroom". There are a few threads describing solutions to the low headroom in the cockpit. I'm 6'1" and have to stoop down when standing in he cockpit...even hunch over a bit when sitting at the helm. I haven't done it yet, and I've put 25000+ nm under the keel, but it is something I will do before I retire to live aboard full time.

There have been a few places I couldn't go due to the 6'9" draft, but wouldn't give up the way she sails to be able to go those few places. One of the things on my wish list was a swing keel. They aren't without problems, though, and I've never regretted my decision to buy an Amel.

Kent
SM 243
Kristy
Currently Brunswick GA, USA
On May 18, 2013, at 10:46 AM, Daisy Donald <daisydonald7041@...> wrote:

Wow, Kim & george, thanks for such a detailed reply. Much appreciated! In answer: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes. and Yes.

What you have to say is great to hear, and I'll add that I am the wife :-) , and just being out there doing it in a fine yacht with my family will be fine with me. Our priorities are safety, ease of sailing when one of us is busy with the kids, and safety (robust, much storage etc). I never seem to read anything negative about these yachts and can't see why there are so few here in Oz. I imagine that some of it is that purists have stuff to say about the look of them, but we find them to be pleasing to the eye. We were nearly ready to buy a Little harbor 50, so it's like comparing apples with oranges, as far as we can see from here.
We appreciate that priorities are different once you guys have actually been out there doing it, so it's hard to buy the right one when we are yet to set off. We really are happy with compromise on many levels though, so it widens our options somewhat.
I like that you mention that she is well-balanced and sturdy. We are really struggling with the draft considering that we enjoy remote places on land so dont want to narrow our choices of anchorages (and take unnecessary risks, yep safety again) with deep draft. Are you happy with your yacht's draft considering you've been cruising for so long?

One last question; we are not small people. 6'5"and 6" hence our kids are also tall. Is this going to be a problem re access to systems and getting around?

I must say that I am looking forward to meeting at anchorage the generous and friendly people who have helped us make our choice.
Warm regards
Jo