Re: [Amel] Battery bank problems SM with 13 batteries

Roque

Hi

1. Even the so called sealed maintenance free batteries need to be checked
from time to time, if they have a way to top the water (as most do). They
are in fact ¨low maintenance¨ ;

2. If you have a voltage regulator, it doesn´t matter if the charger is
small. In fact, the trouble is when you have a charger that is too big for
the bank (about 20 to 25% of the total amperage would be ideal). I guess
you have at least a 600A battery bank, so both the 100 charger and the 175A
nominal alternator would be fine

3. If you do have a voltage regulator, maybe it was set to charge a
different kind of battery. The alternator could also be a suspect, if the
voltage it delivers is out of range, (but it sounds like you don´t use it a
lot).

Rgds

Roque
Atica Amel 54
currently in Benalmádena- Spain

2013/5/22 eric <kimberlite@...>

**

On our trip home from St Martin last week, we discovered that most of the
liquid in all the sealed maintenance free batteries had boiled off. I did
not realize that under the labels there are plugs where water can be added.
In any event all the house (12) batteries
have to be replaced.
We have a 175 amp alternator and 30 and 100 amp Dolphin chargers.
I spoke with Dolphin and they said that the 30 amp charger is too small
for the bank and it probably cooked the batteries as it saw the bank as
always needing a charge. I plan on having the alternator checked and then
speak again with Dolphin when I install the new batteries.

Kimberlite usually is in a marina somewhere and plugged in with the 30 amp
charger running.
Any thoughts on my problem?
Fair Winds
Eric