Re: Battery bank problems SM with 13 batteries

Alan Leslie

Another thing that could cause this is extended motoring.
The 170Amp alternator on our engine is internally regulated to 28.4 volts. So it outputs whatever current it can at 28.4 volts all the time. If you motor for long periods of time this will overcharge the batteries...and could lead to boiling off the electrolyte.
I'm looking at changing this system to have an externally 3 stage regulator that will bulk, absorb and then float. I don't think this internal reg is good for deep cycle batteries.
I contacted Leece-Neville about this and it is not so simple to change as my alt. is regulated on the negative side so its not just a matter of taking out the internal reg and connecting the brushes to the field excitation from the external reg. There's some serious rewiring involved.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done this ...
Cheers
Alan & Judith
SM437
Elyse

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "rxc" <rxc@...> wrote:

Kent,

It was on a boat that was not an Amel. (I am a Jeanneau owner, but follow this list because you have some interesting topics) The Freedom inverter/charger had a sensing line wired directly to the batteries. I have also seen alternator controllers wired like this. It is done to make sure that the voltage that is being sensed is the actual voltage at the battery terminal, and not at the output of the charger. If there are significant losses in the transmission cable from the charger to the battery, the charger could sense an eroneous voltage. Also, if the sensing line has a bad connection it will see the same condition. Connections should be one of the first thing checked when you have a problem like this. Alternatively, use a voltmeter to check the voltage at the charger output and compare that to the voltage at the battery.

When it happened on my boat, my wife was living on board, and the on-board smoke detector kept going off, but there was no sign of smoke or fire in the boat. Turned out that as they overheated, the batteries gave off fumes that set off the smoke detector. If we had waiting longer, the batteries would have gotten so hot they might have started a real fire. It was a close thing.

Ralph Caruso

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Kent Robertson <karkauai@> wrote:

Hmmm.  That's very interesting, rxc.  The only connection to the batteries with any of my chargers is the output line of the charger...Is that what you are referring to?
Thanks,
Kent
SM 243
Kristy