Re: Battery bank problems SM with 13 batteries

Alan Leslie

Any battery charger, if it's big enough, will only supply the current that the battery can accept (otherwise its limited to its max output). Providing there is not some mechanical / electrical defect with the charger, the fact that it is a 100A charger only indicates the maximum current it can provide. It is the state of discharge of the batteries and their acceptance rate that determines the actual current flow. So in terms of maintaining the batteries at the dock there is little or no difference between a 30A and a 100A charger (except our 100A charger frequently trips the shore power breaker on the docks if the battery bank is down)
In bulk mode the voltage increases to the absorption voltage...in this case 28.8V...when it reaches that it is in Absorption mode...bulk charging is finished...voltage is held at that level and current tapers off over time.
AGM batteries for example have a high acceptance rate and so the bulk charge current will be much higher than for so called calcium or flooded batteries....so they can charge faster and therefore a high output charger is beneficial...but if your battery bank will only ever accept say 40Amps, there's little point in having a 100A charger.

Its interesting to hear these comments about Dolphin chargers that have failed...not that many I guess in hundreds of Amel boats out there...I wonder if the failure rate is any different to other brands.

We have Dolphin 30 and 100...they've been in the boat since 2004 without problems as far as I know.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "drew_gaffney" <drew.gaffney@...> wrote:

When we went to NZ to see about buying Revelation SM390, we found the battery compartment full of acid and 12 dry Trojan batteries. The Dolphin 30 A charger had cooked them having remained in bulk charge mode. The charger had been replaced once and repaired a second time. It was no longer being serviced by Dolphin.
The owner replaced the batteries and I added a Xantrex Freedom inverter charger which has worked well. It delivers approximately 40A. The Dolphin 100 A charger PCB failed, was not repairable, and was replaced with a Victron Centaur 100A Charger. It failed after 1yr, was replaced, and a year later, was not charging properly. The dealer in Phuket changed the program to provide 28.8V bulk charge and it's worked well for the past 6 mo's. Who know's what's next.
You will need some a lower Amp charger for use in the marina... I would not buy Dolphin again.
Drew
Revelation SM390
On the hard, Krabi Thailand

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Sailorman <kimberlite@> wrote:

Thank you Roque.
I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems.
Fair Winds
Eric
Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite