Re: [Amel] SSB installation on Amel 54

Alan Leslie

On our supermaramu there is a thick green/yellow cable that runs from the ground foil in the lazarette along the starboard side to the nav station...it had BLU handwritten on it and was connected to the main ground.
I disconnected that and used it to earth the ICOM 710 installed at the nav station. I ran a similar gauge cable from the ICOM to the tuner which is mounted on the aft wall of the small hanging locker opposite and just forward of the aft head.
The antenna wire from the triatic stay comes down the mizzen mast and is accessible behind a panel in the aft head.
I connected this to the tuner antenna connection.
It all works very well.

Cheers
Alan
SM#437 ELYSE

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "jcglt - FK8IH" <jcjglt@...> wrote:

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Richard03801 <richard03801@> wrote:

Hi you need to mount the tuner in starboard stern so you can get to the ground foil. Best to use the whip Antenna. Next the back stay. Using the triact means running a very long wire = lost power and poor reception.

Regards
Richard Piller
Here follows a copy of an interesting article about the length of the active antenna above the Automatic Tuning Unit. I personnaly use around 41 feet for my isolated backstay on HamRadio bands.
jcglt - S/Y Bauhinia

The "Best" Random Wire Antenna Lengths

Randon wire lengths you should and should not use!
The random wire antenna is probably one of the least expensive, easiest and
cheapest HF antennas to use if you have a tuner and you want to get the "most" out of a length of "random" wire without having to pull out that calculator, doing the math, getting the center insulator built or bought, running the feedline, and all the rest that goes with putting up a more elaborate antenna.
All you need for a random wire antenna is some wire, your tuner, one or more supports up as high as you can get them to string the wire from the supports to the tuner, at least one or two insulators and a little time.

One single wire, no solder connections, very simple.... all the way from the tuner to the end support. That's it in a nutshell.....or is it?

Many hams have tried till they are blue in the face to install the random wire antenna that works on most; if not all of the HF bands with terrible results.

Swr usually is all over the place and the tuner will just not do it's job. You can get good loading and low swr on sometimes 2 or 3 bands, but one or more of the bands that you want, just will not cooperate with an swr that can be adjusted with the "tuner".

So after much frustration..down it comes and you go on to a totally different type of antenna....all that time just wasted in your opinion.....until now!

We recently found some good information about random wire lengths that you should and should not use.

Jack, VE3EED, hopefully has solved a major headache we all have when we attempt to go thru the trial and error and frustration with getting the random wire to work where WE want it to work.

He knew that in order for the tuner to "see" a fairly low swr to work within it's range, that the antenna had to be NOT A HALF WAVE ON ANY FREQUENCY that we wanted to use, because a half wave will give us a very high impedance and the resulting swr into a 50 ohm transmitter!

So Jack took most of one day, did the math with the aid of his trusty calculator, several cups of coffee and came up with...............................

In Jack's own words....
"Here's the word on random-wire antennae."

Presented for your consideration by Jack, VE3EED.

The table below represents half wave lengths and multiples that you
DO NOT WANT TO USE!

You have to stay away from a half wavelength on any frequency.
Therefore, we came up with the following numbers to avoid (IN FEET):

These lengths in the table below are the culprits that cause all of the trouble when using random lengths.

Frequency MHz 1/2 Wave 2nd Multiple 3rd Multiple 4th Multiple
1.9 246 492 738 984
3.8 123 246 369 492
7.2 65 130 195 260
10.1 46 92 138 184
14.2 33 66 99 132
18.1 26 52 78 104
21.3 22 44 66 88
24.9 19 38 57 76
28.5 16 32 48 64

So those are the numbers above that we have to stay as far away from as possible when building a long-wire antenna.

Here they are in order:
REVISED: 16 19 22 26 32 33 38 44 46 48 52 64 65 66 76 78 80 88 92 95 96 99 104 110 112 114 123 128 130 132 133 138 144 152 154 156 160 165 171 176 182 184 190 192 195 198 208 209 220 224 228 230 231 234 240 242 246 247 256 260 264 266 272 276 285 286 288 297 304 308 312 320 322 323 325 330 336 338 342 352 361 363 364 366 368 369 374 380 384 390 396 399 400 414 416 418 429 432 437 440 442 448 455 456 460 462 464 468 475 480 484 494 495 496.

Some of these numbers are too close to squeeze in between them.

Here are the final numbers (in my opinion) in green below that would be good for a long-wire antenna: (You may want to make a note of them)

REVISED: 29 35.5 41 58 71 84 107 119 148 203 347 407 423