[Amel] Re: How to acid clean sea water intercoolers

seafeverofcuan <seafeverofcuan@...>

Dear Eric and Gary,
I have the greatest respect for your input and it has saved me many hours of frustration and work. But, PLEASE do not bring "On Off" onboard your vessel. The slightest leak and you will oxidise every piece of mild steel on board.
I stupidly left a 5 litre container inside a rubber bucket and stored it in the port side locker. It leaked and vaporised.

Net result, central heat duct pipes a mess with rust, all regulators, exposed wiring, bolts and the steering chain for the autopilot seized solid, so that continuous boiling in oil would not free and I had to replace the chain - NEVER AGAIN!
Within seconds of using it on the hull you will feel the heat increase in your hands.
Please take care with that product.
Best wishes.
Trevor
SeaFever

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, amelliahona <no_reply@...> wrote:

Eric:

According to the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) On & Off is composed of the following by weight:

20-25 % Hydrochloric Acid
5-10 % Phosphoric Acid
1-5 % Oxalic Acid, dihydrate
1-5 % Ethoxylated nonylphenol
60-65 % Water

The advertising for the product states emphatically that is is safe for fiberglass and in fact it states that it's primary mission is for use on fiberglass.

Guess I will have to give it a try.

Gary

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, kimberlite <kimberlite@> wrote:

Gary,

Isn't on/off muriatic/hydrochloric acid---sure smells like it.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Super Maramu #376

_____