Re: [Amel] Wind vane

Jose_Luis Isasi

Done.
Fair Winds.
JL
Group Moderator

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "murray k. seidel" <mseidel@...> wrote:

Please remove my name, Murray Seidel ( Sundance SM 349 ) from the amelyachtowners site. I do own the sm 349 any more, hence no need for the Amel info and access. Thank you.

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2013 5:09 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amel] Wind vane

I have made note of that Bob. will try to meet up.
Regards
Danny

Sent: Sunday, 16 June 2013 2:38 PM

Danny
I'll be on a Island Packet 48 called Moonbeam., my boat neighbor in Oyster Bay for many years. Joining her 5th August in Tonga then cruising Fiji until heading to OPUA last week of September. Hope to catch you somewhere.
Bob

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@> wrote:

Hi Bob, look forward to seeing you. The SSB cruiser nets are a great way to find out who is where in the pacific area. What is the name of the boat you will be on?
Danny
SM 299 Ocean pearl

Sent: Sunday, 16 June 2013 2:54 AM

Â

Thanks Danny and all who offered thoughts. Yes I did think the windvane a bit of a stretch, I was only considering it due to future short handed cruising plans. I guess I'll look into fitting a spare pilot in the aft cabin, at the moment I just have the rotary drive which has failed once before. It seems any important piece of gear these days ( four little drive cogs) are always made of plastic and are prone to wear. I tried to get spares but they will only supply them if the unit is returned for service. Absurd or what!

Danny, glad you met up with Cameron, I am flying out to Aucland to visit him in August, then joining a friends boat in Tonga to sail back to NZ via Fiji.. Maybe we might bump into each other in your part of the world.

Regards
Bob
s/v Minaxi

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@> wrote:

Hi Bob, good to see your name popping up on the site. Happy memories of your kindness to strangers when we met at Oyster Bay in 2009.
Recently spent some time with Cameron Murray in Opua.
As to wind vane. Totally unessesary I believe. We have a Raymarine auto pilot with a steer to wind option. We just did a run from NZ to Fiji in 10 to 20 knot winds on a broad reach.(max was 27)  Most of the way we carried 4 sails (Headsail, main, mizzen staysail, mizzen) Only reduced if conditions became or threatened to be squally. All the way we had the pilot on wind steer. Wonderfull. The wind direction oscilated off the mean by up to 20 degrees either side. The boat just followed the wind, no trimming needed and then the oscilation brought her back to the average course we needed. The beaty of off shore sailing is the distances are so great you can wait for the wind to shift, and it will to a surprising degree, and you do not have to pendantically hold to a course. Any way we are sold on the wind steer option. One night a squall came through with a 90 degree shift and the boat just followed it, no back winding or gybes.
Marvelous. Had all
the time
in the world to sort it out.
The trip took us 7 days, the wind was just a bit far aft of the beam for best speed, particularly when it was only 10 knots.
On other voyages we have found the steer to wind just as effective on all points of sailing, including to windward. (to windward you need to lay off slightly to give it time to respond before the wind get too close to the eye.)
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl
Currently arrived Vuda Point Marina Fiji
 ÂÂ

Sent: Saturday, 15 June 2013 5:23 AM
Subject: [Amel] Wind vane

ÂÂ
Has any SM owner fitted a windvane for ocean passages? If so what make?
I am considering making this addition before my next passage but have heard some reports that certain boats do not respond well to either Hydrvane or Monitor systems. Thoughts?
Bob
s/v Minaxi sm6

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

_____

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3345 / Virus Database: 3199/6414 - Release Date: 06/15/13

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3345 / Virus Database: 3199/6414 - Release Date: 06/15/13

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.