Re: [Amel] Re: Disturbing messages from Turkey

Ian Shepherd

Further to my last, I have received the following from my friend Roz who
lives in the centre of Istanbul:

"As to the riots, life here in Istanbul is pretty normal, people
generally avoid Taksim if they aren't protesting. I'm over that way
every day and just try to get out of there by 5pm. So feel safe by
coming here. I will let u know if it gets worse. I'm flat out at the
moment travelling all over Turkey doing exams and can't see myself
having a holiday until Aug for a week then a month in Oct, but not
complaining, its work!!"

So as you can see, apart from Taksim Square in the centre of Istanbul,
it's all a storm in a teacup.

Regards

Ian Shepherd SM2000 414 Crusader - Dodecanese

On 26/06/2013 12:52, Ian Shepherd wrote:

I agree with Bill & Mike on this one. Don't be fooled by what you hear
or read in the media. They are a bunch of sensationalists working to get
the most attention by hyping up the reality. I met several Turkish
tourists whilst in Simi and their view was that the situation was more
of an amusement than a threat. One couple even said that it was good to
see the Turkish people expressing their feelings for once.

Whilst I have technically not been in Turkey this summer as I have a pet
on board with an EU only passport, I did overnight in Kekova Roads for
shelter, where everything looked absolutely normal. I don't think that
anyone has anything to worry about near the coast. Maybe a night stroll
through Taksim Square in Istanbul might be unwise, but so was a night
stroll in Barbados in 1970 when I was mugged at knife point!

I remember many years ago when Northern Ireland was all bullets and
bombs (according to the press). I had to go to Belfast to deliver a
yacht to Scotland. With some trepidation I asked my taxi driver to stay
well clear of the troubles. He laughed and said that you would have to
be in about a one square mile area near the Falls Road to have any
likelihood of seeing any action. He was right of course.

I will email an Australian friend who lives right in Taksim Square and
ask her opinion. If it's of value I will post it.

Enjoy Turkey

Ian Shepherd (& baby Siberian Husky Kelly) SM 414 Crusader - Leros Greece

On 24/06/2013 16:16, Mike Johnson wrote:

Hi John & Bill,

Let's not get carried away. It's safer visiting Turkey than a lot of
cities around the world - but we still go to them!

For good advice visit the UK FCO website. The link for Turkey is:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey

Regards

Mike

Solitude

SM2K #461

From: Yahoo! Mail <sammie.whammie@...
<mailto:sammie.whammie%40yahoo.com>
<mailto:sammie.whammie%40yahoo.com>>
To: "amelyachtowners@...
<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>"
<amelyachtowners@...