Watermakers for dummies

rbenven44 <no_reply@...>

A few years ago, when we were in the Med, we met another Super Maramu
that had discovered that the watermaker had a 2-minute delay at start-
up, and an inoperative salinity sensor. The owner was told by
Dessalator that Amel had requested the units be installed that way so
that owners would not have to clean the salinity sensor, and so that
occasional sensing errors would not shut down the system. This was
part of Amel's "low-maintenance" approach.
This owner then rewired the control panel to activate the sensor, and
I believe that it has worked fine since then. We did not do it to
our boat, as I was happy tasting the product at the control panel
faucet (don't the new boats have this?) to verify proper operation.
By the way, we have 875 hours on our watermaker over 8 seasons with
no problems other than the leaks in the old membrane plastic end cap
fittings (which Dessalator replaced with SS ones a few years back).
Rather than post this owner's name on the web site, I will contact
him directly and ask him to post on the web site how he rewired the
unit to activate the salinity sensor.
Happy New Year to all.

Roy Benveniste
SM Excalibur #195