Re: [Amel] Re: Disturbing messages from Turkey

Ian Shepherd

Sammie,

with respect, I think you are being somewhat paranoid. I have cruised
Turkey on and off since the 80's. In my opinion the Turks I have met are
lovely helpful people. As has been said elsewhere, tourism is important
to them and they are not going to throw that away. In days gone by, the
Turks were indeed fearful warriors. But so were the Greeks. Ask the
Turks. Do I feel unsafe in the Aegean? Of course not. Ask the Red
Indians about the white Americans, ask the the victims of English,
Dutch, Spanish and French colonisation, and you will have to accept that
most of us have a track record of being violent. I think the Armenian's
were slaughtered during the First World War, around 1915. Hardly
relevant to today's situation.

As for Embassy advice, it is quite predictably 'Avoid protest and
demonstrations as they might become violent'. A precaution any sensible
tourist will take anyway.

Time to draw a line under this discussion, though of course we would
love to hear from those who have recently visited Turkey and can provide
us with a truthful reassurance rather than somewhat hysterical
conjecture. If I did not have a dog on board with an EU only passport, I
would be there now.

Ian Shepherd SM2000 414 Crusader - in the Kebab latitudes.

On 27/06/2013 13:23, Yahoo! Mail wrote:

The Turks can be violent, ask the Armenians. There are places in every
country including the good old USA that look good but are in fact not
safe. It requires more then a simple, it is safe others just
sensationalize it, as a problem. Maybe call your embassy before you
travel to any area. The Turkish culture is more European but still
people of opportunity can ruin your day or life. Don't just take
anyone's advice without personnel research. People are bias because
the have had no trouble. As far as asking someone that loves their
country their are truly bias. Travels in any country are targets.

________________________________

Hi Ian
Where on Leros are you? We are in Xerokambos.

Possible to have an Amel union?

/Ann-Sofie & Jonas
SM 232, S/Y Lady Annila

Skickat från min iPad

26 jun 2013 kl. 15:52 skrev "Ian Shepherd"
<mailto:sv_freespirit%40yahoo.co.uk>:

I agree with Bill & Mike on this one. Don't be fooled by what you hear
or read in the media. They are a bunch of sensationalists working to
get
the most attention by hyping up the reality. I met several Turkish
tourists whilst in Simi and their view was that the situation was more
of an amusement than a threat. One couple even said that it was good to
see the Turkish people expressing their feelings for once.

Whilst I have technically not been in Turkey this summer as I have a
pet
on board with an EU only passport, I did overnight in Kekova Roads for
shelter, where everything looked absolutely normal. I don't think that
anyone has anything to worry about near the coast. Maybe a night stroll
through Taksim Square in Istanbul might be unwise, but so was a night
stroll in Barbados in 1970 when I was mugged at knife point!

I remember many years ago when Northern Ireland was all bullets and
bombs (according to the press). I had to go to Belfast to deliver a
yacht to Scotland. With some trepidation I asked my taxi driver to stay
well clear of the troubles. He laughed and said that you would have to
be in about a one square mile area near the Falls Road to have any
likelihood of seeing any action. He was right of course.

I will email an Australian friend who lives right in Taksim Square and
ask her opinion. If it's of value I will post it.

Enjoy Turkey

Ian Shepherd (& baby Siberian Husky Kelly) SM 414 Crusader - Leros
Greece

On 24/06/2013 16:16, Mike Johnson wrote:

Hi John & Bill,

Let's not get carried away. It's safer visiting Turkey than a lot of
cities around the world - but we still go to them!

For good advice visit the UK FCO website. The link for Turkey is:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey

Regards

Mike

Solitude