Re: Genoa Car Removal

minaxi53

Ian
I had a similar problem with my main sheet traveller mid ocean. Because the traveller is recessed in a channel on the deck there is no way to get the car or end blocks off without removing the track from the deck. As a quick fix we took a grinder to one end of the track and ground off 3" from the lip of the track enabling the car to be lifted off. Now the track is operating 3" short but many boats have much shorter travelers anyway.
Bob
Minaxi sm6

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Ian Shepherd <sv_freespirit@...> wrote:

Has anyone removed their genoa car from its track on a Super Maramu? It
will not slide past the aft chain-plate. Maybe removing the forward
block and the nearby stanchion might work, but I would rather hear from
someone who has successfully got the traveller off this way first. I
wish to avoid remove the track if at all possible.

Yesterday whilst sheeting in the genoa, there was a bang followed by the
car roller shooting through the air closely followed by the ball
bearings, never to be seen again of course. It would seem the nut
holding the roller axle had come undone. It would be a good idea to
Locktite these nuts in future as there is very little thread left when
the nut is tight so it soon comes off once it works loose.

I have yet to discover whether spare parts are easily available. I would
imagine I am in for a complete new unit, at least in the short term.

Ian Shepherd SM2000 414 Crusader Leros Dodecanese Greece