Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Wind vane steering

Steve Leeds

Hi,

We have owned our Sharki (number 121) since 1990, lived aboard for 13 years and circumnavigated aboard her. If you have any questions (other than about windvane steering as we don't have any) we would be glad to help if we can.

We know of a Sharki named WASABI owned by a Canadian couple who also circumnavigated aboard her before selling the boat. They did have windvane steering, but unfortunately, I don't recall what brand they had. The problem, of course, in installing windvane steering on a Sharki is the mizzen boom. The blade on the windvane must be "tacked" under the boom when tacking -- potentially a problem.

There have been several occasions over the years when I wished I had windvane steering as a backup to our VERY reliable but power hungry NECO autopilot.

Steve Leeds

Yacht MACCABEE

The all-new My Yahoo! What will yours do?