[Amel] Re: Halyard retainer

seafeverofcuan <seafeverofcuan@...>

Hi Kent,
It happens fairly frequently when you have an extra halyard fitted to the mast head if you don't pay attention to the halyard it can get caught in behind the bars or "horns" as Amel refer to them.
Especially when it is windy and you want to reef the main, then occasionally
the spare halyard gets twisted around the bar and or the foil and the point of least resistance is the threads and the bar snaps.
Regards,
Trevor
Seafever
Ireland

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> wrote:

I wonder why so many problems? Sounds like something's not right with the way it's set up???

Has anyone else had these issues? Joel, any ideas? I've not heard of anyone having this problem.
Kent
SM243 Kristy
Brunswick GA USA

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 4, 2013, at 10:03 AM, Ric Gottschalk <ric@...> wrote:

Had one bar where threaded end broke. Was fixed several times by welding (even before noon when they begin island drinking). Last time it broke, the double nuts chewed up 3" of
upper foil.
I like to think my overloaded Winnebago will go faster when healing less. Still agree with bars and limited distance for retainer. I will look into carbon fiber.
Now in Annapolis. July 20 going to Huntington yacht club, mystic, newport, Marthas, Nantucket and return in Aug.
Thanks,

Ric Gottschalk
Kitchen Magic Refacers, Inc
Office 410-923-5800
Fax 410-923-5802

On Jul 4, 2013, at 6:54 AM, "Kent Robertson" <karkauai@...> wrote:

Hi Ric,
Long time no see. Hope you are well.
What kind of breakage issue did you have?
Kent
SM243
Kristy