Re: Watermakers for dummies

noeliano244

We, too, have discovered that this sensor is simply a 2 minute timer
with no relationship to water quality. We do have the small control
panel faucet which we use regularly, as well as drinking our product
water. If you, Ben, do find out how the sensors were rewired, it
would be valuable to all of us. Since we have the extra sea gull
filter our water quality has remained very good with over 800 hours
on the water maker with some of the same problems you have had. We
winterized our water maker this winter since we are stored in Maine
and hope it will "wake up" in the Spring. We have found that the
chlorine testers for salt water fish tanks work very well for
testing the chlorine content of city water. We have, however, run
every drop of city/marina/yacht club water through a charcoal filter
which we simply add onto the delivery hose. We have not, however,
cleaned out the water tanks and would like information on how much
chlorine, how much water, how much mixing (i.e. wind and wave
action) we might need to finally do this. Thanks. Pete & Mary,
Noelia #244

--- In amelyachtowners@..., rbenven44 <no_reply@y...>
wrote:

A few years ago, when we were in the Med, we met another Super
Maramu
that had discovered that the watermaker had a 2-minute delay at
start-
up, and an inoperative salinity sensor. The owner was told by
Dessalator that Amel had requested the units be installed that way
so
that owners would not have to clean the salinity sensor, and so
that
occasional sensing errors would not shut down the system. This
was
part of Amel's "low-maintenance" approach.
This owner then rewired the control panel to activate the sensor,
and
I believe that it has worked fine since then. We did not do it to
our boat, as I was happy tasting the product at the control panel
faucet (don't the new boats have this?) to verify proper operation.
By the way, we have 875 hours on our watermaker over 8 seasons
with
no problems other than the leaks in the old membrane plastic end
cap
fittings (which Dessalator replaced with SS ones a few years back).
Rather than post this owner's name on the web site, I will contact
him directly and ask him to post on the web site how he rewired
the
unit to activate the salinity sensor.
Happy New Year to all.

Roy Benveniste