Re: [Amel] Re: rear holding tank clogged

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

Hydrochloric acid works perfect, but it affects the mercerator electrical motor. We used to use hydrocloric acid, but after destroying two engins we don't put the acid in the toilet any moore. If it is the tank that has clogged, put the acid in the tank from deck. But you need to leave the acid there for maybe one hour. The tank is made of GRP, so the acid doesn't affect that. And when the clogg is gone, the acid will pour out, as long as you leave the valve open. Rince thoroughly with water.

Or use vinaigre through the toilet instead. It does the same work, but needs longer time. Use 2-3 liters or more, leave it over night and then try to empty your tank. Repeat until the tank is clear.
This way you get both the tank and the hoses clean in the same time.

When you have (or if) you remove the lid to the tank you can also use some long stick to get the opening wider. The evacuation hole is mor or less straight under the deck hole.

Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila, SM #232 in Licata, Sicily

Skickat från min iPad

30 jul 2013 kl. 15:28 skrev "Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe" <yahoogroups@svbebe.com>:

Ciao Gianni,

I do not know if this was the correct thing to do...BUT...I used a form of acid that was some solution of Hydrochloric acid on BeBe's aft tank valve. I poured it in the deck pump-out opening, let it sit for about 15-20 seconds, then worked the valve handle back and forth. I repeated twice, then flushed with baking soda and water solution to neutralize the acid. I believe once you get it working freely you may be able to pump some lithium grease into the valve to lubricate it.

If your tank is full, you will have to have it pumped out before you try above.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Currently Fethiye, Turkey

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Giovanni Testa" <gtesta23@...> wrote:

Hi to all, I remember that some used to pour acid into the tank to dissolve the organic obstruction. But I don't remeber which, from which hole and how to work. Please, any suggestion may help.
All the best
Giovanni TESTA SM 428
Port Vila
Vanuatu