From: Richard03801 <richard03801@...>
To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Wednesday, 7 August 2013, 11:22
Subject: Re: [Amel] Re: Bad odours coming from the A/C

Hi Kent It appears you are right on. Chlorine is not a good thing to leave in the bilge/engine room. To many metals that the gases will attack. Best to flush before leaving or put simple green in the bilge or white vinegar. We leave a bowl of white vinegar in the heads then flush it away. The other thing to keep in mind if it is hot enough for AC and there is sea water in the head well it'll grow/stink

Regards
Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Aug 7, 2013, at 7:04, Kent Robertson <mailto:karkauai%40yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi, Mike,
I just read about Javel Tabs after seeing your post. I think I'd be careful about leaving that in your bilge for very long. Although it is hypochlorous acid (HOCl), it will react with water to form HCl and bleach. That could be harmful to the copper grounding strap in the bilge sump, and to the bilge pump. I do put a little bleach in the sump when it starts to smell bad, but flush it out after an hour or so. The real key to keeping the sump from smelling is to keep foodstuffs out of the drainage from the galley sink. Since I've been scraping and wiping all plates and pots and pans before washing the dishes, the odor in the bilge has become significantly less and is probably related to skin cells from the shower and sink.

Please someone tell me I'm wrong...I'd love to find something I can leave in the bilge sump that will eliminate the odors altogether.

Kent
SM 243 Kristy
Brunswick, GA, USA