Re: Water Maker Info

Paul

Hey there....in response to you question on the watermaker and
washing machine...I too like to make water while doing the wash.
Until lately I have not had a problem running the both together. In
Dec I found that my high pressure pump was leaking...Amel indicated I
would need tho have the pump rebuilt. At the same time the genset had
a hard time starting the watermaker and would kick the breaker unless
I started the watermaker with no other load. In in the Virgins
waiting for my Raymarine GPS and autopilot to be repaired so I could
sail down to Martinque to get the pump rebuilt....well today when
atempting to make water...the pump now stalls the Genset...my bet
more $$$ than just a rebuild....of course only 3 months out of
warranty. One would think the think would last for more than 200
hrs... Paul Camp SM418 Lady H WDB5667@...

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Ian Shepherd" <g4ljf@c...>
wrote:
As promised, here is the word on Dessalator water makers. It comes
via their
UK agent who met with Patrick, the number two at Dessalator last
weekend. I
was hoping to forward an email from them, but to date it has not
arrived.

Firstly our water makers are designed, built and installed with the
salinity
probe functional. The diverter valve will only send the water to the
freshwater tank after the 2 minute timer has completed it's cycle
and the
salinity probe detects that there is a low enough salt content. The
reason
why my short circuit test of the probe did nothing is that in order
prevent erosion of salinity tester probes, the polarity in reversed
some 500
times per second. Short circuiting does not simulate salty water. I
guess
the only way to test it would be to cap the probe hole and dunk the
probe in
a cup full of salt water.

If at any time the salinity probe detects salt, the unit does not
shut down,
but diverts the water overboard. The green 'water good' LED will
also change
colour.

Patrick also said that membrane perforation is very unlikely, the
more
common problem being that the membranes clog up, causing reduced
output. It
is possible that an O seal will fail or that a membrane end cap
might split.
However, if this happens, the salinity probe will detect bad water
and
immediately operate the diverter valve to send the bad water over
the side.
The symptoms of a perforated membrane would be an increased flow
rate above
normal and a low pressure indication.

So in a nutshell, we have nothing to be concerned with. Our
Dessalator water
makers are perfectly safe and should a membrane failure occur, they
will
fail to a safe condition.

In our conversation, one interesting point was raised. I don't know
about
you, but when I am using the washing machine, I do try and use the
gen set
to advantage by also running the water maker to replace the water
used.
Unfortunately, I cannot run my 160 l/h unit at more than about 80
l/h, else
the gen set trips. Does anyone else find this happens? Maybe I have
a slack
circuit breaker on the Onan. It should trip at 30 amps AC.

Patrick says that to run the water maker out of the green range is
not good
practice. The reason is that the membranes are constructed by
rolling up the
material like a roll of wall paper. In order for the membranes to
achieve a
perfect seal, they need to be under pressure, else sea water can
work its
way from the centre of the roll to the outside, maybe at
concentrations just
below the salinity probe detecting unsafe water. It will be OK but
not taste
quite so good.

I hope this clears up once and for all any doubts about our
equipment, which
I have always found to be excellent. The latest models have an
automatic
back flush, which may be beneficial if you don't use your water
maker
regularly. M. Wagner says that it is only necessary to back flush
if you are
not using the system for a period of 10 days or so, but automatic
flushing
might improve the taste and prolong the membrane life if you forget.

I have an inquiry out to see if the modification to an automatic
back flush
is feasible on our circuit boards, and at what cost. I will post
the answer.

Fair Winds

Ian Shepherd SM 414 'Crusader'