From: Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2013 8:04 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel] Yahoo Groups may become a thing of the past

All,

Yahoo Groups may slowly fade away. Yahoo started the deconstruction of Yahoo Groups when they recently chose to discontinue RSS feeds. RSS is a format for delivering regularly changing web content. Many news-related sites, weblogs and other online publishers syndicate their content as an RSS Feed to whoever wants it. I used RSS to notify me of new postings rather than email which can clog your inbox.

It is interesting to note that the last RSS feed that I received was on Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:05 pm which was titled HELP - AMEL DRIVE. When the RSS feeds stopped many people were asking questions via Yahoo's Group Owners Blog. The answer for about 2 weeks was, "we know, our engineers are working on it, we do not have an estimated date of repair." Then on August 6, Yahoo posts this: "As of August 6th, 2013, the RSS functionality of Yahoo! Groups has been discontinued." http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&id=SLN5811&locale=en_US&y=PROD_GRPS

Another sign is that although Yahoo promised 4 years ago that they would increase the size of allowed FILES from 100mb to 100gb, they have not. In fact, I find it is impossible to have an email conversation with anyone at Yahoo about Yahoo Groups.

With the rapid growth of FaceBook and others, Yahoo is probably looking at Groups as a thing of the past. Unfortunately FaceBook and others do not do the things that we have become accustomed to like file exchange.

I offer all of this without offering a solution. Also, I have no idea whether Yahoo Groups will be around in 6 months or 10 years...things change, and/or I could be wrong.

I am presenting this information about Yahoo Groups because with all of its problems, it has been good for us and I have been rewarded with great information by being a part of the Amel Owners Group. I am simply hoping that someone might have a solution.

Best,

Bill
BeBe