Re: [Amel] Yahoo Groups may become a thing of the past

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Bill and Amel owners,

In very short, I host web site and own a commercial server, I don't want to make any promises, but when I have time (between my own work and learning/working on NIKIMAT) I will look into what is required, available, etc.

I think the best would be that for a particular problem/issue/task, we combined our knowledge/experience and write 1 solution and possibly some alternative.
Example:
If Air Cond ice up, what to do... and combined everybody's check list.

Sincerely, Alexandre

SM2K NIKIMAT
Seabrook, Texas, USA

Subject: [Amel] Yahoo Groups may become a thing of the past
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Friday, August 16, 2013, 1:04 AM

All,

Yahoo Groups may slowly fade away. Yahoo started the
deconstruction of Yahoo Groups when they recently chose to
discontinue RSS feeds. RSS is a format for delivering
regularly changing web content. Many news-related sites,
weblogs and other online publishers syndicate their content
as an RSS Feed to whoever wants it. I used RSS to notify me
of new postings rather than email which can clog your inbox.

It is interesting to note that the last RSS feed that I
received was on Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:05 pm which was titled
HELP - AMEL DRIVE. When the RSS feeds stopped many people
were asking questions via Yahoo's Group Owners Blog. The
answer for about 2 weeks was, "we know, our engineers
are working on it, we do not have an estimated date of
repair." Then on August 6, Yahoo posts this: "As
of August 6th, 2013, the RSS functionality of Yahoo! Groups
has been discontinued." http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&id=SLN5811&locale=en_US&y=PROD_GRPS

Another sign is that although Yahoo promised 4 years ago
that they would increase the size of allowed FILES from
100mb to 100gb, they have not. In fact, I find it is
impossible to have an email conversation with anyone at
Yahoo about Yahoo Groups.

With the rapid growth of FaceBook and others, Yahoo is
probably looking at Groups as a thing of the past.
Unfortunately FaceBook and others do not do the things that
we have become accustomed to like file exchange.

I offer all of this without offering a solution. Also, I
have no idea whether Yahoo Groups will be around in 6 months
or 10 years...things change, and/or I could be wrong.

I am presenting this information about Yahoo Groups because
with all of its problems, it has been good for us and I have
been rewarded with great information by being a part of the
Amel Owners Group. I am simply hoping that someone might
have a solution.

Best,

Bill

BeBe