Re: Yahoo Groups may become a thing of the past

ferruccilorenzo

Great thread. This forum is a place where we can exchange experiences and opinions of real life on board our Amels, this is the real this is the real after-sales service!! :)

Personally I would be in favor of setting up a forum such as the French one. Indeed, we could join forces.

Need a place where you can gather the messages in groups, and where we can exchange docs and images.

I would be conducive to a charge of "association" annual, if so needed for maintenance and the life of the forum. (easier than it can be replaced over time by banner ads).

Lorenzo Ferrucci

SM2000 n420
Red Passion
Currently in Elba island,Italy.

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

All,

Yahoo Groups may slowly fade away. Yahoo started the deconstruction of Yahoo Groups when they recently chose to discontinue RSS feeds. RSS is a format for delivering regularly changing web content. Many news-related sites, weblogs and other online publishers syndicate their content as an RSS Feed to whoever wants it. I used RSS to notify me of new postings rather than email which can clog your inbox.

It is interesting to note that the last RSS feed that I received was on Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:05 pm which was titled HELP - AMEL DRIVE. When the RSS feeds stopped many people were asking questions via Yahoo's Group Owners Blog. The answer for about 2 weeks was, "we know, our engineers are working on it, we do not have an estimated date of repair." Then on August 6, Yahoo posts this: "As of August 6th, 2013, the RSS functionality of Yahoo! Groups has been discontinued." http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&id=SLN5811&locale=en_US&y=PROD_GRPS

Another sign is that although Yahoo promised 4 years ago that they would increase the size of allowed FILES from 100mb to 100gb, they have not. In fact, I find it is impossible to have an email conversation with anyone at Yahoo about Yahoo Groups.

With the rapid growth of FaceBook and others, Yahoo is probably looking at Groups as a thing of the past. Unfortunately FaceBook and others do not do the things that we have become accustomed to like file exchange.

I offer all of this without offering a solution. Also, I have no idea whether Yahoo Groups will be around in 6 months or 10 years...things change, and/or I could be wrong.

I am presenting this information about Yahoo Groups because with all of its problems, it has been good for us and I have been rewarded with great information by being a part of the Amel Owners Group. I am simply hoping that someone might have a solution.

Best,

Bill
BeBe