[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Water Maker Info

rbenven44 <no_reply@...>

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Ian Shepherd" <g4ljf@c...>
wrote:
Roy, can you please
tell us what current it draws from your meter? Onan told me that
the 6.5 KW
(renamed 7KW after they were told they had used conservative
measurement
methods), should trip at 30 Amps AC load.
Hi Ian,
I'm sorry to say that my relatively ancient (1997) SM came with
the 24V watermaker, output 50-60 l/hr. So I do not have a direct
reading of load, except the change in battery charging current. My
recollection (which I have shown to be poor!) is that the 24V
watermaker draws about 7 amps at 220V, not much.
My AC ammeter is wired up to the AC distribution box on the
bulkhead above the galley, probably with a shunt to measure amps.
This way it works with both genset and shore power. I have tripped
shore power several times, but never the genset.

Good sailing, Roy