Subject: [Amel] prop rebuild,..
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 2:42 PM

The prop rebuild is a time consuming project and is
best done on a workbench

with a vise.

I bought the parts from AB marine for about $900- they
rented me the tools

(cost $350- for 50 dollars-upon return of the tools) I think
it will take

one person a day plus to do it.

The hardest part is to remove the ball bearing race as it is
held in by

grease and the tolerances are very tight. It takes a lot of
time and solvent

to remove them.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

_____

From: amelyachtowners@...

Date: Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 3:10 AM

Alexander:

A couple of thoughts:

Find some clear water, dive on your prop and visually and

tactilely verify for yourself that the prop is bristol

clean!. I hired a diver once to clean mine due to the nasty

water in the marina, and after he said it was clean, I

subsequently inspected it myself and found it was anything

but clean. I find that even minimal incrustation on the

prop takes me at least 30 minutes of scuba/snuba time to

clean properly. Heavier growth can easily consume an hour.

Use a putty knife and some 3M scotch bright or equivalent

get it completely smooth, including the hub area.

While you are down there verify that your prop bearings are

good. This requires a bit of a fine touch. Just slowly

rotate each blade, one at a time, manually and see if there

is any binding, gritty feeling, or roughness as they rotate

around. This obviously is easier done when hauled out but

can be done underwater. What you are looking (feeling) for

is any sign that the bearings in the blades are gone. They

should be silky smooth as they rotate and should certainly

move freely. On that note, when was the last time the prop

was lubed, when was the last time the bearings were
changed,

and when was the last time the blade seals where changed? A

prop blade with bad bearings can give strange vibrations

while powering.

I do not allow any pressure washing of my prop when hauled

as the high pressure can easily blow past the blade lip

seals and water contaminate the bearings. When you lube

your prop if you have water exit the vent hole then you

should consider disassembling the prop for bearing

inspection.

Are you absolutely certain that you don't have a fuel

filter (there are two) restriction or fuel line restriction

such as a bad fuel tank shut off valve? Verify that the

fuel tank shut off valve is properly rigged and fully open.

Have you put a suction gauge on your fuel filter to see if

the filter is restrictive to flow? Just a couple of cheap

and easy things to check.

Good work on cleaning and verifying the turbo spun freely.

There is a product called Mouse Milk (that you can get from

AircraftSpruce.com) that we use on the waste gate actuators

on aircraft engines to keep them limber. Cheap and easy.

Sincerely,

Gary Silver

This evaluation won't cost you much in time or money
and

--- In amelyachtowners@...

<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> ,

"Alex" <uster@...> wrote:

> Last week, cleant exhaust elbow, heat exchanger and

turbo, I was able to make it spin using a compressed air

bottle. http://nikimat.com/volvo_tmd22_turbo.html

> Had a diver scrubbing the prop, said it felt good.

> At the dock reach 2500 rpm (did not try higher).

> Saturday in the bay, could not exceed 2200 rpm... Very

desapointed.

> I could feel some vibrations or wabbling. Any idea?

> Could that be the prop not unfolding totally?

> Thanks in advance, sincerely, Alexandre

> SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

> Seabrook, Texas, USA

_____