Re: [Amel] Re: Turbo desapointment...

karkauai

I have a Gaige on my double Racor setup. It reads about -3 mm Hg when the Yanmar is running.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy
On Aug 21, 2013, at 4:21 PM, amelliahona <no_reply@...> wrote:

Hi Alexander:

Here is a good article that shows the principles involved.

http://proboat.com/attention-to-detail/170-the-vacuum-gauge-tool.html

West Marine has the gauges (although $99 seems steep to me).

http://catalogs.westmarine.com/WebProject.asp?CodeId=7.7.1.25&BookCode=wmm13&pagelabel=597#

You might try Grainger.com All the Racor filter housings I have seen have a port for the gauge. 1/8th inch pipe thread as I recall, but double check to make sure.

Gary

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Alexandre Uster von Baar <uster@...> wrote:

Good morning Gary,

If the Marina was cleaner, I would dive myself, but it is so dirty...
Not much clean water in "Clear Lake", but I think I should make an effort and dive far in the bay.

The propeler was lubed last November. I don't know about the last time the bearing or blade seals were changed.

I was planning on disassembling it in Nov before my trip, may be I should do it before.

I recently changed both Engine fuel filter and (single) Racor fuel filter. I don't think, but don't know if I have restriction.
I will check the valve.
I don't have suction gauge, any recommendation? Manufacturer? I am not familiar with that... Are they permanently mount?

Thanks for the compliment in cleaning the turbo... I wish I could brag about 2800 rpm!!!

I will looked at the "Mouse Milk" you mentionned!

Thanks again for your email, let me know about these suction gauge...
Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: [Amel] Re: Turbo desapointment...
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 3:10 AM

Alexander:

A couple of thoughts:

Find some clear water, dive on your prop and visually and
tactilely verify for yourself that the prop is bristol
clean!. I hired a diver once to clean mine due to the nasty
water in the marina, and after he said it was clean, I
subsequently inspected it myself and found it was anything
but clean. I find that even minimal incrustation on the
prop takes me at least 30 minutes of scuba/snuba time to
clean properly. Heavier growth can easily consume an hour.
Use a putty knife and some 3M scotch bright or equivalent to
get it completely smooth, including the hub area.

While you are down there verify that your prop bearings are
good. This requires a bit of a fine touch. Just slowly
rotate each blade, one at a time, manually and see if there
is any binding, gritty feeling, or roughness as they rotate
around. This obviously is easier done when hauled out but
can be done underwater. What you are looking (feeling) for
is any sign that the bearings in the blades are gone. They
should be silky smooth as they rotate and should certainly
move freely. On that note, when was the last time the prop
was lubed, when was the last time the bearings were changed,
and when was the last time the blade seals where changed? A
prop blade with bad bearings can give strange vibrations
while powering.

I do not allow any pressure washing of my prop when hauled
as the high pressure can easily blow past the blade lip
seals and water contaminate the bearings. When you lube
your prop if you have water exit the vent hole then you
should consider disassembling the prop for bearing
inspection.

Are you absolutely certain that you don't have a fuel
filter (there are two) restriction or fuel line restriction
such as a bad fuel tank shut off valve? Verify that the
fuel tank shut off valve is properly rigged and fully open.
Have you put a suction gauge on your fuel filter to see if
the filter is restrictive to flow? Just a couple of cheap
and easy things to check.

Good work on cleaning and verifying the turbo spun freely.
There is a product called Mouse Milk (that you can get from
AircraftSpruce.com) that we use on the waste gate actuators
on aircraft engines to keep them limber. Cheap and easy.

Sincerely,

Gary Silver

This evaluation won't cost you much in time or money and

--- In amelyachtowners@...,
"Alex" <uster@> wrote:

Last week, cleant exhaust elbow, heat exchanger and
turbo, I was able to make it spin using a compressed air
bottle. http://nikimat.com/volvo_tmd22_turbo.html

Had a diver scrubbing the prop, said it felt good.
At the dock reach 2500 rpm (did not try higher).
Saturday in the bay, could not exceed 2200 rpm... Very
desapointed.

I could feel some vibrations or wabbling. Any idea?
Could that be the prop not unfolding totally?
Thanks in advance, sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Seabrook, Texas, USA