Re: [Amel] Re: Volvo Penta TMD22 Low RPM

karkauai

Hallelujah Terry! Another prop/Volvo rpm problem.
I think a lot of the SM/Volvo 78's are probably over-propped.
Kent
SM243
Kristy
Brunswick GA USA
On Aug 21, 2013, at 5:25 PM, "islandbwoy4434" <terencesingh@...> wrote:

Success!
To close this thread out.
Greg Prior and David Sheppard (AB Marine and Bruntons respectively) re-worked our A6 prop based upon the extensive imperial data we provided.

The prop was installed last week and Libby was off on a 5 day excursion to Catalina Island. Here is my email to Geoff Prior.

'Good morning Geoff, I wanted to close the loop with you on the prop work.
The prop was installed last week by Rick our local diver.
I took Libby on a 5 day excursion to Catalina Island which turned out to be a 179 mile round trip with no wind! (motoring there and back)
I am pleased to report that I was easily able to exceed 2000 RPM at cruising speed.
Noted speeds were 7.6 knots at 2500 RPM and WOT 3100 RPM at 9+ knots.
I know this took a little work on everyones part, and I would like to thank both you for your excellent support and help.
Terry "

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "islandbwoy4434" <terencesingh@...> wrote:

Just installed a reconditioned Turbo charger on Libby's (#196) TMD22. The Turbo was indeed seized solid as was the waste gate actuator.
Prior to installing the re-conditioned unit we noted that the highest RPM we could achieve was 2000. This gave us a boat speed of aprox 6-7 knots depending on conditions. We have the factory feathering Auto prop installed.
Having read the associated threads on this forum I fully expected post installation of the refurbished unit to achieve upwards of 2800 RPM and an increase in top end boat speed.
Alas, not the case.
From a standing start the engine will rev up to 2300 RPM until the feathering prop builds it maximum thrust and the RPM's drop down the 2000 RPM and 6-7 knots of speed.

I would like to know if I am missing something here with respect to my expectations.
Can anyone offer up some wisdom?

Terry&Dena
SV Libby #196
San Diego