From: amelyachtowners@...
[mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of amelliahona
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:02 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel] Re: prop rebuild,..

Hi Mike:

I actually tried to drill into the races but couldn't penetrate the hardened
steel at all. My original plan was to tap some screws into the race and use
a slide hammer to pull the races out of their recess. How were you able to
drill those races?

As I try to visualize your process, didn't this then leave a hole through
the base of the race recess open to sea water on the outside of the prop
hub? Perhaps I am not picturing this correctly. Help me to better
understand.

Gary Amel SM # 335 s/v Liahona

--- In amelyachtowners@...
<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> , "Mike Ondra" <mdondra@...>
wrote:

The approach that worked well for me to remove the race was to drill and
tap
3/16" threads through the race and hub, insert short 3/16" bolts from
either
end until they touched at the interface, then tightened the inner bolt to
push out the race. Next time no need to drill, just insert the inner bolt
push out the race.

Mike SM#242 Aletes