Waterleak in the depthsounder compartment

Krassopoulos Dimitris <dkra@...>

Dear All,

I am very happy with my SM but you have to be prepared for a problem I faced
with the bowthruster.

I found out sea water ( and it was sea water) in the compartment between the
forward cabin out side of the forward bathroom. When I was sailing to
windward I noticed more and more water. I tried to find out from where the
water was coming. I thought that the water was coming in from the speed
meter ( I have the Raymarine instruments) . When sailing to windward with
high seas I always put the safety pin in the bowthruster but there was still
water. So after trying to find out from where the water was coming when I
was sailing with a friend I opened the bowthruster leather coverage and the
wood floors to find out . As there were big waves I noticed that with every
wave water was coming in the boat from the bowthruster flange, even with the
safety pin there was water coming in. I was terryfied but you always feel
better when you locate the problem at least you know the weak point. As the
boat is now out of the water I removed the bowthruster in order to change
the oil and found out with surprise that under the sponge flanch in the boat
there is also a plastic ring with metal the same as in the propeller to
prevent the water to come in the boat this ring is held in place with two
small wooden screws. This plastic ring was dry and propably damaged and that
was the reason that the water was coming in the boat. I think that all Amel
owners have to take a note on that and change this ring whenever they find
water in the forward part of the boat. I plan to install a small bilge pump
in the depthsounder compartment in case I have again the problem. I could
not find any description of this in the manual so I believe that you should
take care of that.

Also be aware as it can become dangerous in an long ocean crossing.

Best Regards

Dimitris
SM Alma Libre