Re: [Amel] How to pickel water maker?

David Wallace

Air Ops came with two different water maker cleaning agents, one acid-based and one alkaline-based.  One or the other would be used depending on what the membrane was contaminated with.  However, both are very aggressive and would most likely damage the membrane so would be used only as a last resort.  I removed both from the boat.  Regarding pickling, I also never pickle my water maker.  We leave her in the Sea of Cortez from early June until mid October (air temps into the low 100F, sea temp reaching 90F) and my procedure is to simply run 50 gallons of fresh water through the system.  We've done this for three summers now with excellent results.

Dave
s/v Air Ops
Amel Maramu #104
Puerto Escondido, Sea of Cortez

On Sep 27, 2013, at 5:56 PM, Sailorman wrote:

Kent,

Thanks for the heads up.

I would like to know what you find

Fair Winds

Eric

Date: Friday, September 27, 2013, 2:51 PM

Alexandre,

DON'T DO IT! All you need to do is back flush for 3
minutes, and
only when you are not going to use the water maker
during the next 3
weeks. Pickling is a fad that seems to be popular in
America for
some reason. I did it with my first set of membranes and
they quit
in less than 2 years. My current membranes will be 8
years old in
November and I have used the water maker a lot as I
never take on
dock water.

If you are concerned about taste try installing a
Seagull filter and
tap at the sink. They are very good though the filter
cartridge
price has escalated over the years. I am considering
installing a 5
micron filter before the Seagull filter to perhaps help
prolong the
cartridge life.

Dessalator also spurn pickling. It is NOT necessary.

Happy drinking.

Ian Shepherd SM 414 (2003) Crusader

On 27/09/2013
14:31,
uster@...
wrote:

Tested last weekend the water maker (in rinse
mode), all
good.
Now, I would like to learn how to pickel
it...
I have the product, can someone explain to me
what I need
to do?