Re: [Amel] How to pickel water maker?

Patrick McAneny

Kent, That would not work for me because I have to drain my tank during the winter storage. It gets cold up here, but this will be our last winter here. Thanks, Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Kent Robertson
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Sun, Sep 29, 2013 9:16 am
Subject: Re: [Amel] How to pickel water maker?

Pat, find Gary's post about putting a timer on the fresh water pump.  Elegant solution for when on the hard.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

Eric, I do not have a red valve but when I installed the watermaker I installed valves and can run fresh tank water to the low pressure pump. So to rinse I just use the domestic boat pump for a few minute with the watermaker off. Thank you for confirming that. I would still like to know what I should do when I have the boat on the hard for 5 months and will not be able to rinse it every few weeks, since so many have suggested it not good to pickle the membranes with chemicals.  Pat
Date: Friday, September 27, 2013, 2:51 PM

Alexandre,

DON'T DO IT! All you need to do is back flush for 3
minutes, and
only when you are not going to use the water maker
during the next 3
weeks. Pickling is a fad that seems to be popular in
America for
some reason. I did it with my first set of membranes and
they quit
in less than 2 years. My current membranes will be 8
years old in
November and I have used the water maker a lot as I
never take on
dock water.

If you are concerned about taste try installing a
Seagull filter and
tap at the sink. They are very good though the filter
cartridge
price has escalated over the years. I am considering
installing a 5
micron filter before the Seagull filter to perhaps help
prolong the
cartridge life.

Dessalator also spurn pickling. It is NOT necessary.

Happy drinking.

Ian Shepherd SM 414 (2003) Crusader

On 27/09/2013
14:31,
uster@...
wrote:

Tested last weekend the water maker (in rinse
mode), all
good.
Now, I would like to learn how to pickel
it...
I have the product, can someone explain to me
what I need
to do?
Thanks in advance, sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT