Re: [Amel] bow truster LEAKING from Alex Uster

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Alex, from what you describe, the 2 foam seals on the outside are either worn, or one, or both are missing. When moving the bow thruster UP to its final position to put the pin in place, you should have to manually pull on the wire to pull the bow thruster up enough to insert the pin.

The seal replacement on the Bow Thruster is easily done by following the instructions that I gave you titled BOW THRUSTER SERVICE by Gary Silver.pdf (this is also on the Group website at Files>Miscellaneous>BOW THRUSTER SERVICE by Gary Silver.pdf ). Also, look at all of the Bow Thruster photos in the sub folder I gave you named Small Product Photos, especially the ones titled Bow Thruster in-the-water repair. I will write up instructions on in-the-water repair and email them later today. Look at Bow Thruster Special Tool.jpg in the sub folder named Small Product Photos. Do you have this tool? If not can you make one or have one made? You will need the 8mm set screws that are 12mm long also.

Look at your spares. There are 3 Bow Thruster foam seals. The 2 "outside" seals are different from the 1 "inside" seal. I believe either the inside or the outside is made of urethane foam and the other neoprene foam, but I do not remember which. Since Amel sends them in sets the ratio is always 2:1. You will have to look very closely to see the difference. Once you see the difference be sure to separate them, so that you do not mix them up.

Doing this job in-the-water really requires two people and most importantly requires that corrosion has not caused the motor and the tube to become stuck together. If they are stuck, I believe that you will be forced to haul out.

I have added Bow Thruster In-the-Water Service.pdf to Files>Miscellaneous>. I have also added the same thing to Photos>Bow Thruster In-the-Water Service

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Alexandre Uster von Baar <uster@...> wrote:

The foam and lip seals were replaced a year ago (by Amel), is this normal they last so little time???

Alexandre

SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Seabrook, Texas, USA

Subject: Re: [Amel] bow truster LEAKING from Alex Uster
To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: Sunday, October 20, 2013, 11:26 AM

Hi it is time to replace the foam and lip
seals. You can get a set from Amel it ck this site for other
sources.

Regards Richard
Piller
Cell 603 767
5330
On Oct 20, 2013, at 10:12, Alexandre Uster von Baar <uster@...>
wrote:

I have noted more and more water in the compartment next to
the fwd head...

When I go sailing, I always "LOCK" the bow
thruster, but regardless water seems to be coming in.

Any advice? Is there some adjustment I can do to make it
tighter?

Any other solution?

I had it service by Amel Martinique last Nov.

Thanks in advance, sincerely, Alexandre

SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

Seabrook, Texas, USA