Re: [Amel] RE: Cleaning the fresh water tanks

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

We have an other solution. We don't put any other water than watermaker water into the tank. Since we started doing so, three years ago, we have no problem with growth in the tank.

When we are in a marina with "land water" we connect the hose directly to the water system on board, NOT using the tank. Before we take the ater into the boat it passes two filters one 15 or 20 microns and the other is a carbon filter.
The only problem we have with that is if the water pressure from land is to high.

/Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila, SM232

Skickat från min iPad

22 okt 2013 kl. 21:45 skrev "Kent Robertson" <karkauai@...>:

Okay, thanks

On Oct 22, 2013, at 4:42 PM, "Mark Erdos" <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Kent,

I do not flush the watermaker with tank water. I just run it every two weeks or less.

Best regards,

Mark

SM2K #275

www.creampuff.us

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of Kent Robertson
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:39 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel] RE: Cleaning the fresh water tanks

Thanks Mark, for your thorough explanation of your fresh water maintenance plan.  I do think a big part of my tank contamination was leaving the tank half full for many months.  Like you I'm not convinced that a charcoal filter removes all chlorine, but several folks seem to feel that is perfectly acceptable to flush the membranes with water run thru a filter...,and have had good success with that system.

So, if you don't flush with tank water, what do you flush with?

Thanks again

Kent

Sm243

Kristy

On Oct 22, 2013, at 12:47 PM, "Mark Erdos" <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Eric,

I use chlorine bleach as a wash about every 3-4 months, or so. I think every 6 months would suffice. I put 2 gallons of high concentrate bleach in the tank  and leave overnight and then empty it (I empty with the fresh water pump and anchor chain wash). I then flush the tank once by filling it up and emptying again. I also hose out the tank from the accessible central chamber with a dockside water hose. When we first purchased Cream Puff, there was a little mold in the tank. The bleach removed it. Since I have been on this system, the tank has stayed clean. We also top off the tank before leaving the boat (I read somewhere it is best to leave it full or completely dry). Once we had the tank mold and slime free, we took a sample of our water to the county for testing. We were told it was of good quality. Some counties will run a test for you, some will not. We were not charged for this and they did it while we waited.

It is also a good idea to open all your faucets if you are flushing your tank with bleach. This way your plumbing is also growth free. If you have mold in your plumbing, it will grow backward into the water tank. If you do this be sure to rinse the lines until you are certain they are free of chlorine.

We have 2 water makers. We run the French one every 2 weeks when we are in clean water. The water is either added to the tank or sent to the bilge depending on where we are when we run it. The engine driven water maker is pickled. I would not use the fresh water from the tank to flush the membranes as we use bleach in the tanks. My thought being ANY amount of bleach on the membrane is going to either ruin it or shorten the lifespan. Also, we fill the tank with dockside water at the marina and they have chlorine in the city water. I would not trust a charcoal filter to remove all chlorine. I believe you would need a series of filters and thus it is cost prohibitive. We filter our dockside water before it goes into our tank. We use an RV filter: http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40631-Premium-Water-Filter/dp/B00523AMBC

We also keep a separate hose for filling our tank with dockside water. This hose is stored dry and not just laid on the dock. This ensures nothing grows in the hose.

We use the Seagull filter for drinking water and making ice. We change the filter when the water slows down. We did not have this on our previous boats and the water was just fine. So, this might be a little overkill. But, we figure it can’t hurt.

Some people will put 1 cap full of bleach per 100 gals of water in the tank. Since we have no problems, I do not do this. If we continued to have issues, I would add the bleach until resolved.

I have note known anyone to use hydrogen peroxide.

We have used our bleaching system successfully on our last two boats.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mark

SM2K #275

www.creampuff.us

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.