Re: [Amel] Water Maker End Caps

Ian Shepherd

Hi Bill,

I am out sailing tomorrow and will photograph the new end cap assembly and post. I am sure my man would be glad to make some more if anyone is interested. He is a quick worker and did a very good job. He also made the Teflon connectors for the holding tanks too.

More tomorrow.

Regards

Ian Sm 414 Crusader (2003) Larnaca Cyprus

On 29/10/2013 16:34, Bill & Judy Rouse wrote:
Ian,

I like your solution, although I think I would have liked it better if Emek Marine would have quoted you the end caps in stainless steel, because I think a number of us would have been interested.

I also like your elimination of the interconnect bobbin which I always considered a weak link. I am not sure that I understand exactly what you did with the replacement of the bobbin. Can you upload some photos?

Bill
BeBe, SM, #387

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Ian Shepherd <sv_freespirit@...> wrote:
Having taken my 160 l/h Dessalator membrane assembly apart, I can now
confirm that the cause of last summers leak was high pressure erosion of
the hole that the stainless cross tube fits into which connects the two
membrane in series. Despite having changed from white to black end caps,
the problem still exists.

Bill suggested that I have stainless end caps made in Gocek, but the
gentleman there stopped responding to my emails and I never got a
costing, and so I went to my excellent turner here in Larnaca. Rather
than use stainless which is not the best material for use in sea water
when starved of oxygen, he turned up two end caps in bronze. Instead of
using the Dessalator cross tube, there are now stainless screw in
fittings and a high pressure hose joining the two caps, also with
stainless fittings. (The holes are turned downwards and the tube does a
U-Bend under the end caps). I may have to replace the hose and fittings
every few years, but those parts only cost only 12.

Total cost breaks down as follows:

2 end caps in bronze including material 120

New set of O-Seals 3

Connecting hose and fittings 12

Hopefully this will put an end to repetitive water maker leaks. I am
also considering relocating the membrane unit to the vertical wall just
below the front of the gen set for easier access. Another location would
be above the gen set, but with some sort of water catchment arrangement
should a leak happen. Where Amel put the membranes in not easy to reach,
especially when bolting the membranes back in place.

Ian Shepherd SM 414 Crusader (2003) Larnaca Cyprus

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)