Re: [Amel] Batteries

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

It depends on so many variables that you will get a wide range of answers, but the range that I hear from active cruisers is 2 to 4 years. Those mostly plugged into shore power can go for ever.

That said, are all of your batteries dead? Did you have them tested? When they were tested, did the test include CCA? Was the person testing the batteries conflicted (a seller of new batteries)?

Sometimes 1 or 2 batteries in the battery bank will fail or short and make the entire bank appear faulty. Since you are in Hong Kong, you might consider buying a digital battery tester with printer. I like this one, and I am betting it is made in China: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-BA327-Digital-Battery-And-System-Tester-With-Integrated-Printer-/331052762325?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item4d144844d5

Our experience on our slow circumnavigation has been 4 years life, except that the 13 that we bought 2 years ago have been the worst, with 1 battery failing in less than a year, and 2 more failing recently.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM, <crwggb@...> wrote:

I have Trojan Lead acid batteries on my SM SULA. the first set I owned lasted 7 years which by all account is pretty good. The boat was kept predominantly in Northern Europe and was was plugged into shore power throughout the winter whilst ashore.

Sula is now based in HK and got a new set of batteries (Trojans again) when she arrived. She is now in commission 12 months of the year being used regularly and rarely gets plugged into shore power. It is obviously very hot in HK for most of the year. the batteries have crashed after only 2 1/2 years. I was somewhat disappointed with this short life until I read the SM owners manual posted here recently, which stated that 1 1/2 years would be the life expectancy!

I was wondering what other folks experience has been with their batteries. Sula's have always been meticulously maintained, topped up and left fully charged when leaving the boat after use.

Grah am Boyd

SM140 Sula

Hong Kong