To: amelyachtowners@...
From: sv_freespirit@...
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 15:34:25 +0000
Subject: Re: [Amel] AIS

That's good to know Bill. Thanks.

Ian Shepherd SM 414 Crusader Cyprus

On 26/11/2013 16:27, Bill & Judy Rouse wrote:

Richard,

The story about ships only selecting Class A and deselecting Class B is a myth.

Do the research...it is a myth. There is no red button to deselect Class B.

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Richard03801 <richard03801@...> wrote:

Hi if you are going outside of cell service please give serious consideration to buying a VHF based system. That way you have a true AIS "B" system that ship can see assuming they are looking at "B". Most ships only look at "A".  However an A/B recover /VHF will show ship position and name.

Regards
Fair winds to ALL

Capt Richard Piller
SUPPORT AND SERVICE IN THE
NORTHEASTERN U.S.

On Nov 26, 2013, at 9:29, <richtate@...> wrote:

Hi,

I’m looking for feedback on AIS transponders.  We have, and like, the MarineGadget AIS receiver USB dongle (www.radargadgets.com) that overlays nicely targets on a Asus netbook running OpenCPN but my wife wants to have the option for us to broadcast our position to shipping traffic. From what I’ve read the Vesper Marine device(s) can send AIS target data wirelessly and we’d like to have the targets repeated on our iPAD running Garmin’s BlueChart Mobile app. Anyone have experience with this setup?

Thanks

Richard