Re: [Amel] Isolated or non Isolated DC to DC Convertor

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Captain Pillar,

On all of the Super Maramus I have seen, there are 3 of the Thrane & Thrane Sailor N420 24VDC to 12VDC converter/regulators. These are located inside the right door below the nav table.

One of these Sailor N420's is for 12V instruments (B&G Hydra or other), another for 12V VHF and the third for 12V accessories like the AM/FM Stereo and cigarette lighter. Each of these has a maximum rated output of 8 amps.

The IC M802 requires a maximum of 30 amps in Transmit...3 amps in Receive.

Your installation is not only wrong, it is likely dangerous.

Bill
BeBe

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Richard Piller <richard03801@...> wrote:

Hi Eric.
Sorry for the text I did this using a speakerphone dictating and it did not come out right. 
On my factory supplied single side band there are several sailor 24 to 12 V inverters under the net station they power the SSB.  My Icom 8O2 is a 12 volt unit and it works perfectly using the Amel supplied Sailor units installation. 
1998 SM 209 in Newport RI for sale. 
Fair winds 

Regards
Capt Richard Piller

On Nov 30, 2013, at 7:09, Richard03801 <richard03801@...> wrote:

Hi Eric. When your essay 209 Amelle supplied the boat with sailor 24 to 12 V inverters. They also supplied the boat with a single sideband I've change that to an 802 with no issues powering it from that same sailor converter. We have had no issues up-and-down the single side band and ham bands. 
Fairwinds to all. 
SM 209 for sale in Newport Rhode Island. 
Richard Piller

On Nov 29, 2013, at 20:20, Sailorman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

I do not believe the 12 v sailor would supply sufficient amps for a SSB radio. I have a very hefty converter made by ICOM that Amel installed under the Nav station. This item is now discontinue. However there are a lot of high amp 24-12 volt electronic converters on the market.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of Richard03801
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2013 10:27 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel] Isolated or non Isolated DC to DC Convertor

Hi. Under the navigation station the doors on the right side have 12 V power supplies that should be your source for 12 V coming off the 24 bank. I believe the brand name is sailor. 

In the ass locker there should be a copper foil for grounding the A140 tuner. 

Regards 

Richard Piller

On Nov 29, 2013, at 8:27, <terencesingh@...> wrote:

Some advise is needed with respect to the replacement of the factory installed 24VDC to 12VDC DC to DC Convertor.

We are about to install our Icom M802/AT140 SSB Radio.

The existing 12VDC wiring system is quite mess and includes a separate 12VDC battery that was used for the previous SSB installation.

I have heard that an Isolated ground DC to DC convertor should be used. These are used in systems that are ether positive ground or with floating ground systems.

I am pretty sure that our vessel (SM#196) does not have a positive ground system. 

Did Amel built their boats with a floating ground?

What does this mean with respect to installing a DC to DC convertor?

What are the ramifications for using a non isolated DC to DC convertor?

Any help understanding this is much appreciated.

Terry&Dena

SV Libby SM#196

San Diego

I am using the Free version of SPAMfighter.
SPAMfighter has removed 2389 of my spam emails to date.

Do you have a slow PC? Try a free scan!

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.