Re: [Amel] Isolated or non Isolated DC to DC Convertor

David Pawley

Sorry eric, I am so use to Active, Neutral. Earth as shore supply (In Aus), when I work on ships I am more familiar with Phase to Phase voltage. I am boatless, I do not have a Amel, I would love to change that, but anyhow on another forum there was a lively debate on some short comings of ABYC and advantage of Isolating transformers.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/isolating-transformers-the-earth-wire-connection-conundrum-109344.html

I find the opinions interesting and incredibly informative, I would like to know more about the Amel system. Is your Bill Seifert the author of a book called, Offshore Sailing: 200 Essential Passagemaking Tips.

Cheers Waverider

On 23 December 2013 02:17, Sailorman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Waverider,

Where is the neutral hooked up to an Amel?

When you hook up  an Amel to a European plug there is a blue, brown, and green/yellow wire.

The brown and blue together are 220 volts. The green yellow is the ground . There is No Neutral as in USA connections IE- the white.

When you hook up  your boat to a USA 50 amp plug. The black and red are connected to the blue and brown and the green is connected to the green /yellow. The white(neutral) is not used.

Unless your boat is wired differently from mine there is no neutral used on USA wiring and there is no available neutral on the European plugs as they only have 3 prongs.

With ABYC standards, I have a list somewhere written by Bill Seifert who was the project Manager of The Tartan Factory, The J Boat factory, and finally the Alden Factory, listing the factors that do not allow the Amel to be ABYC standard. The first one that comes to mind is that there is no dip tube in the fuel tank, Amel takes the fuel off the bottom. If I recall the mast and rigging are also not bonded, the color coding of the wiring is not ABYC standard and If I remember correctly there were about 20 other things which I ignored. The Amels are CE approved Group A, not ABYC . They are also not ORC class one approved unless you have one a lot of work to the boat after delivery.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite