Re: Painting Deck

Jose_Luis Isasi <jose.luis.isasi@...>

Hi Johen,

Hereby I paste an answer from one of our mates to my questions. I
cannot offer my experience because I still have not applied this
knowledge.

Regards
Jose_Luis

I include my conversation with Joachim for the benefit of all.

Hello Jose_Luis,

regarding the deck there are different ideas to consider. My final
decision was:

I am going to put the anti-slip material treadmaster
(http://www.tiflex.co.uk/marine/marine.html) on the side walks but
not on the cabin roofs. This was mainly due to optical reasons. The
website has also a spanish version.

The pictures are taken from KIRK # 233 which is owned by my best
friend. He put the treadmaster on in 1989. Pictures where taken this
year.

I did grind the original anti slip approximately 2/3 down. These
areas will be painted and an anti slip additive ( sand ! ) will be
added to the first layer of 2 component paint. The 2nd layer of
paint will partly cover the sand, that takes out the "bite of the
sand" when you sit on it.. On www.yachtpaint.com you will find a lot
of information probably also in Spanish. VC 17 is a antifouling
paint which creates a very thin layer of paint and dries in a very
short time.

I completed the first sanding with 60 grid last wekend and will do a
final sanding with 180 grid to all the original anti slip areas. The
other areas wil get a final sanding with 320 grid. Right now the
temperatures are on their way down in northern Germany so it will
take probably another 4 weeks before we get proper outside
conditions.

In case you have any question please let me - or the forum- know. I
own own my KIRK now for 2 years but my best friend owns # 233 now
for 18 years so we have a pretty good knowledge about the older AMEL
boats.

Next whe will have to replace the old wall coverings hanging down
from the roof also a favorite AMEL item for a replacement.

Enjoy your new boat, the boats might not be good looking but
usability is very high.

Best regards from Hamburg

Joachim