Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Grounding

Roger Banks <roger.banks@...>

Thanks for this Tom. I'm still a little concerned as the copper
terminal has two DC ground straps bolted to it. Otherwise the copper
terminal has indeed the appearance of being an RF ground, being, as I
recall, a three inch copper strip which just appears out of the
gelcoat. Did you disconnect similar DC straps when you attached your RF
ground? I'm happy to do that in general as advice has changed over the
life of our boats such that you are now told to disconnect metallic
thru-hulls from each other and from the DC ground because of the risk
of galvanic corrosion occurring in marinas, where control of stray
electric currents tends to be poor and has much worsened over the
years.

I have found a photo of my boat out of the water some time ago and
there is clearly a plate on the starboard side of the skeg, although
not on the port side whereas you mentioned plates in the plural. Do you
think you have one or two?

I tend to agree that there's no sign of a lightning ground, so I'm
getting ready to install one at the next haul in September.

Regards, Roger, Mango 28
Message from Roger Banks
Mobile: 0407 91 4601
Home: +61 2 6291 4601

On 24/05/2005, at 11:10 PM, tom mcguffy wrote:

It is my understanding that the copper terminals are the RF ground and
connect the copper mesh in the hull and the two dyna plates on the
skeg. My
HF radio worked very well grounded to these terminals. There is no
lighting
protection as far as I know. My mango was hit twice.
Tom McGuffy

>From: "rogerhbanks" <roger.banks@...>
>To: amelyachtowners@...
>Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Grounding
>Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 12:47:59 -0000
>
>For my 1982 Mango I'm trying to establish a clear set of groundings
for AC,
>DC, RF and
>lightening, following an excellent primer on the subject at
SailMail. Can
>anyone please
>advise what is the copper terminal which is located between the
transom and
>the deeper
>aft storage space in the aft cabin, or just to starboard of the
lazarette?
>Nothing is
>connected to it in my boat and it disappears into the fibreglass of
the
>hull. I'm wondering
>if might be the access to an RF ground laid into the original
fibreglass
>layers. Also, I can't
>see a lightening ground system. Can anyone help? Regards

Yahoo! Groups Links
To visit your group on the web, go to:

Service.