Re: Help please !!! Painting Deck ??

Szabó Géza

Dear Jochen,

I just rejoined the group so I missed the posts made before. I hade
the same problems on the non-skid of my amel euros. I decided to
remove the old nonskid, then painted the deck and then used TBS non-
skid material.
It was 3 years ago, so far no problems and satisfied.
You can see some pics at

http://www.rotorman.hu/index.php?page_name=rotor_fotoalbum

(note: some pics made before painting).

If you need more info about the process let me know.

Cheers

Geza Szabo
HA5RTR
SY Rotor
www.rotorman.hu
--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Jochen Hofmann"
<jochen@j...> wrote:
Hello fellow Amel owners.

Our Maramu #143 launched in 1984 has a very "tired" Gelcoat by now -
especially in the white antislip areas. She has recently received a
full Awlgrip painting for the hull and superstructures, and she
looks
almost like new now if it was not for the deck. The white antislip
deck starts to develop very small black holes by now and I am sure I
have to do something about that (the "false teak" areas are still in
reasonably goot shape so I follow Amel's suggestion there and will
not
paint). However I have seen lots of bad to very bad solutions for
this
problem on other boats (including some Maramus and Sharkys). Does
anyone have a GOOD solution to this ?

Since I am even starting to have arguments with my wife (and perfect
mate) over the issue I would really appreciate your opinions.

PS the boat is in southern Turkey so lots of heat and UV.

Thanks and fair winds,

Jochen Hofmann, SY Blue Song