Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] 1985 Sharki electric roller furler

john martin <symoondog@...>

I use a smaller diameter line to fit into the grove of the drum. it's about100 ft. long,and I mark the middle of it. I place the line on the drum, crisscross the lines behind the drum and go through the forward pole blocks and back to the cockpit. If you keep tension on the loose end,you can use the winch to reef the sail or roll it up. It works the same as a continous line reefer system. John Moondog SM 248 PS as Steve says, don't forget to release the motor pin.

From: Steve Leeds <yachtmaccabee@...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] 1985 Sharki electric roller furler
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 23:30:09 -0700 (PDT)

Use a spare sheet -- run it from the line drum on the anchor windlass to the pulley at the bottom of the Genoa foil. Release the foil from the motor drive by moving the little lever on the port side of the furler gearbox to a horizontal or lower position (if there is strain on the furler it will be very hard to move). Keep your body parts away from the furler when you release the lever. Ease the strain on the Genoa by heading into the wind or (better) falling off and blanketing the Genoa with the mainsail. Furl the Genoa using the anchor windlass.

I understand you can use the Genoa winches in the cockpit to furl the sail, guiding the line using the balooner pole blocks on the toerail, but I have never tried that procedure.

Steve Leeds
Yacht MACCABEE
Sharki #121
Circumnavigator's Yacht Service
Fort Lauderdale, Florida

"Roy A. Duddy, Esq." <rduddy.duddylawoffices@...> wrote:
Can anyone tell me the procedure to follow in order to use the roller furler
MANUALLY if power to the unit is ever lost? Thanks,

Roy
Sharki #123, Unwineding

175 Route 101
Bedford, NH 03110