Re: [Amel] RE: AGM batteries

seafeverofcuan@...

Thanks Eric.I have been able to do that on some brands. The last lot were Vetus which were expensive and really good performance. They were destroyed in under a year by the 30amp charger going rogue and interestingly I had a real good go at trying to rehydrate them as I had nothing to lose, but on this occasion they were heat welded and I couldn't get into them without destroying them.

Having been through this several times I am now convinced that when I am off the boat for a number of months the best all round solution is to disconnect them all totally. Which is the only reason I could think of to justify the price for AGM as they degrade so slowly. I think if you are living on board and are on hand to care for them properly then you would have a better chance of getting value from AGM.

Trevor