Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] sat phones

Mark Erdos

Kent,

We added a Groove wi-Fi booster from Islandtime PC. It works extremely well, easy to install,  and the price is right:  http://www.islandtimepc.com/marine_wifi.html

Best regards,

Mark

SM2K #275

www.creampuff.us

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of Kent Robertson
Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2014 11:21 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] sat phones

Do you have SSB?  That's the cheapest way to communicate, but it can be less than ideal connection.  Iridium phone serves most of my needs when offshore.  Cell phone from US can be more expensive than SatPhone.  Local cell phone okay for local use, but may have to get new contract for each island (country) you visit.  If you can get internet access skype is cheap and excellent connection.  The new SPOT allows you to change message on the fly, but only good for transmitting.

Sooo...I've found that emailing via Iridium is my choice for staying in touch while at sea.  Keep phone calls short and she can satisfy that need to hear a voice.  Try to use Skype when possible and Iridium when you don't have internet access.  If you're going to be at a single island for a month or more it's probably worth getting a local phone for local calls and texting.

I'm going to add a WiFi booster before I head South again.

Kent

SM243

Kristy

Brunswick GA USA

On Feb 15, 2014, at 9:34 AM, <sailw32@...> wrote:

We will be heading to the Caribbean next fall and my wife will want to text our daughters almost daily and speak to them every week or so. I thought I would seek advice from the group as to what is both reliable and affordable. Spot Global, Iridium , Global Star or what else may be available ?

Thanks ,Pat & Diane

SM Shenanigans

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.