Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] sat phones

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

Don't put money on a satellite phone if your just going to sail in the caribbean. It is a high initial cost and the calls are not cheap, Texts are free if you recieve them (iridium no one else, Inmarsat has no free texts at all).
By a good WiFi antenna like The Wirie (www.thewirie.com) and use Facetime or Skype. With Skype you can send messages, make calls and have videocalls. I think Facetime has the same.

You can use both on a smartphone, a iPad or similar or your computer.

The WiFi nets here is so good and so inexpensive so we don't use our sat phone to make calls to Sweden any more and we don't by internet access from Digicel or LIME or similar either.

/Annsofie
Lady Annila SM 232,  in Grenada.

Skickat från min iPad

15 feb 2014 kl. 12:45 skrev "Bill & Judy Rouse" <yahoogroups@...>:

Every time I recommend IslandTimePC for wifi, I get a thank you from the person I am making the recommendation to.

If you want the best WiFi booster/router and enable all of your devices to connect through a router to wifi, email Bob Stewart at rstewart"at"islandtimepc.com.

Bob is an ex-cruiser who builds wifi systems for cruisers and also builds 12 and 24 volt PC computers. He is a good guy, prices are right and you will get something that is truly plug and play because before Bob ships it, he connects it, makes all of the settings and sends you complete understandable directions.

When you contact him, ask him about the router that takes a USB dongle...this is something fairly new. You should be able to use the router you get from Bob to deliver via wifi internet to all of your devices onboard...but also when you want deliver internet via a cell phone SIM card USB Dongle to all of your devices. Tell him I told you to ask for this...he will know what you are talking about.

Bill
BeBe, 387

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 4:20 PM, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> wrote:

Do you have SSB?  That's the cheapest way to communicate, but it can be less than ideal connection.  Iridium phone serves most of my needs when offshore.  Cell phone from US can be more expensive than SatPhone.  Local cell phone okay for local use, but may have to get new contract for each island (country) you visit.  If you can get internet access skype is cheap and excellent connection.  The new SPOT allows you to change message on the fly, but only good for transmitting.
Sooo...I've found that emailing via Iridium is my choice for staying in touch while at sea.  Keep phone calls short and she can satisfy that need to hear a voice.  Try to use Skype when possible and Iridium when you don't have internet access.  If you're going to be at a single island for a month or more it's probably worth getting a local phone for local calls and texting.
I'm going to add a WiFi booster before I head South aga in.
Kent
SM243
Kristy
Brunswick GA USA

On Feb 15, 2014, at 9:34 AM, <sailw32@...> wrote:

We will be heading to the Caribbean next fall and my wife will want to text our daughters almost daily and speak to them every week or so. I thought I would seek advice from the group as to what is both reliable and affordable. Spot Global, Iridium , Global Star or what else may be available ?

                                                                                                   Thanks ,Pat & Diane

        &nbsp ;                                                                                          SM Shenanigans