Skype has many plans, including assigning a phone number to your account with your choice of area code so that people can send you texts, call you, etc.

Bill
BeBe

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Patrick Mcaneny <sailw32@...> wrote:

Bill & Kent, Thanks for the info, you answered my questions. I think we will primarily rely on Skype and get a wifi booster. Thanks Again, Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Kent Robertson <karkauai@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Sun, Feb 16, 2014 9:37 am
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] sat phones

You can use Skype for phone calls anytime you have internet access.  The problem, I think, is when you have your satphone on and hooked up to your laptop or touchpad via hardwire or wifi hotspot. That's when it downloads updates using your satphone data. If you are ashore or on the hook and connected to a commercial or free hotspot it's just like using Skype on your home wifi connection. So, yes, you can call with Skype from anywhere in the Caribbean that you can connect to the internet.
Kent

On Feb 16, 2014, at 9:24 AM, Patrick Mcaneny <sailw32@...> wrote:

I am thinking Skype may be a good way to say in touch. The Skype website they showed their hotspots in the Caribbean , they were limited ,showed no hotspots south of Antiqua . Can someone confirm that one can connect to Skype further south down to Grenada ? Has Skype proved to be a reliable means to communicate back to the states? Has, as Trevor mentioned, the unintentional downloading of updates been a problem ?
                                                                                                                                                                    T hanks, Pat SM #123