Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Skype

seafeverofcuan@...

Hi Kent,
           The iPod that I use for this is at least four years old. I am hopeless with this IT stuff so I walked into an Apple store and asked if this idea would work.
They said they had no idea but tried it out for me in the store so I bought the lead for an iPhone with the mike and it has been really useful ever since.
What hasn't been said in the recent postings about SSB and sat phones is that mid ocean you will get a direct connection with emergency services on a sat phone.
I am a big SSB fan but unfortunately nowadays it is not as well monitored for emergencies and we are very dependent on the international volunteers who stand watch on the emergency channel and the atmospheric conditions.
Regards,
Trevor